Sunday, September 13, 2020

You Might Need One

 


The stars aligned today and I finished piecing two quilts.  Two in a day may have never happened before.  The star quilt was a one-block-every-day quilt and the gray dot was a quick piecing project.

Which brings me to the picture above.  If you're a quilter, you either (a) recognize it as a good friend or (b) don't know yet that you need it.  If you're not a quilter, you don't need one so you can buy something else.

That thing is a wool pressing mat.  The wool absorbs the iron's heat and heats the back of the fabric while the iron heats the front.  The result is that seams lay really crisp and flat, even if there are half square triangles involved.

A good quilting friend gave me a small one so I could try out the concept.  After a week, I knew that I wanted a larger one.  If you decide to try it, just go ahead and get the larger one.

I just keep mine on my ironing board and put it on the floor if I want to actually iron something.  Not that such a thing happens a lot.  I used to iron everything, even tee shirts and jeans, but when I broke my wrist I got away from all that ironing.  Now I'm quite happy without ironing.  (There is a difference between pressing and ironing.)

No comments: