Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Carpenter's Wreath Holiday Quilt

 


Carpenter's Wreath Holiday Quilt pattern by Cindi Edgerton.

This was supposed to be my little-bit-every-day project, but it was hard to stop once I got started.  I had two blocks paper-pieced from who knows when and the project sat beside my sewing machine ever since.  And now it's done.

And yes, I have more of those in-progress quilts here and there.

For months I was so tired, unmotivated, napped during the day.  Now it's the opposite, I have trouble falling asleep some nights.  And no, I'm not bi-polar, it's just how it is right now.

Shout out to Jacquie Gering, who in my mind is the queen of walking foot quilting.  She has the best tip - when you're starting a row of walking foot quilting, change the stitch length for the first few stitches to the tiniest available selection on your machine - on mine, it's 0.5.  Then you can just carefully snip the starting threads on top and bottom.  The line of stitching won't unravel.  (She has great online classes and tutorials.)

I do love the "fix" stitch on my sewing machine, which sews in place five times at the touch of a button, but I find that it's more suitable to garment sewing than quilting.  It leaves the tiniest little thread bump on the bottom.  

Still worrying about Louisville.  The Kentucky attorney general will announce the Breonna Taylor decision this afternoon.  There have been peaceful protests for days but I am concerned that outside groups may have plans to come to the city.  And about the unease everyone has been living with.    

No comments: