Monday, September 28, 2020

Sewing for Others


I do a few alterations for long-time customers.  Nothing complicated, usually.  Just hems and adjustments in fit.  Sometimes pillows or curtains, as you know, but no more porch cushions, as you also know.  A few monograms or names on baby items.  When potential customers call, I say that I'm not taking new customers.

There were a few weeks at the end of summer when there were no alterations at all and I could concentrate on quilting.  Now, with a new season starting, almost everyone has called.  It must be a change in season and people are getting new things that need a little adjustment.  A mother-of-the-bride needs a hem so she won't step on her dress.  Someone's golf pants are too long, someone's blouse is too big.  Etc.

I enjoy the mechanical aspect of alterations.  Changing the feet on the sewing machine, finding new thread, finding just the right needle (it really makes a difference,) threading the serger.  That last may be my favorite part because it was so hard won.

Really, I consider my work as a service, not a money-making venture.  My charges are pretty minimal.  Over the years, the customers have become friends and I enjoy their coming and going, their stories.

I think sometimes of my Aunt Nina, my dad's sister.  Her philosophy was much the same, I think, although she devoted more to it than I do.  No quilting for her.  The dining room in her house was her sewing room.  As a child, she made my dad's christening dress. As an adult she made beautiful wedding dresses.  I would love to sit down with her and just discuss . . . sewing.  

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I like making things for people but get irritated when they want me to name a price for the thing they want.
We get off on the wrong foot because of it. Just let me give it to you........One guy who works with daughter needs the knees of his pants patched. Will take all of 30 minutes once I find a sub cloth for the sewing. I don't want money- he refuses to accept the mending. We are deadlocked.

I have a few things that need alterations- I wish you lived in Maine.