Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Flowers and Politics

 

Sarah tells me that this plant is lantana.  I just knew that it is so pretty.

I enjoy Wednesdays.  I enjoy the Zoom catch-up with several of my church friends and the Live! from my local quilt shop.  On Zoom, we talk a lot of politics.  Everyone agrees, and that's nice.  

I let myself get my feelings hurt by a political re-post from a friend today.  I'm trying to decide - should I start up a conversation or let it slide by.  I know she would not deliberately hurt my feelings.  I'm sure she wasn't thinking of me at all.  I'm inclined to let it go, save my "respectful disagreeing" for when the words are her own.  But just saying - just because I belong to a certain political party doesn't mean that I don't love this country.

Seriously, folks, let's have some civility with each other.  On November 4 or sometime soon after, we will need to move on together.  I know it's hard.  People I respect and love have totally different views than I do.  Let's talk when we can do so with listening as well as talking, trying for understanding, but let's stop what I call social media zinging - tossing out a harsh idea or phrase and then ducking down and leaving, removing ourselves from productive follow-up.

People are tired and scared, I get that.  We see a lot of unrest.  We hear a lot of harsh words that aren't always even true.  We worry about kids going to school, we worry about getting sick ourselves, we worry about losing our way of life, we worry about everything.  But we can still be thoughtful, be good neighbors, be critical thinkers, share our piece of bread.  Let's do that.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Oh, I couldn't agree more with regard to the political commentary and climate. I just stubbornly remove myself from any discussion, online or in person. They won't change my mind, and I won't change theirs. The relationships are more important to me than alienating myself from them. I will vote. I love this vast country of ours.