Thursday, September 17, 2020

Quilting With Metallic Thread

 


After stitching in the ditch around the blocks on the star quilt, I decided to go ahead and stitch around each star with a gold metallic thread.

Years ago I quilted a different star quilt with metallic thread and had a lot of thread breakage.  Since that time, I've learned.  It helps to use a quality, smooth thread, in this case Superior metallic.  And it helps to use a quality sewing thread in the bobbin, not the metallic.  Of course if you do this, your machine needs really good tension.  So far, I've been happy with how everything is behaving.

Stitch length is 4.0, and that is working well.  Outlining those stars is helping the points of all those little half square triangles lay flat, and that's a bonus.

Oh, and I'm using a walking foot, which I'm sure I didn't have all those years ago.  The walking foot helps the top and bottom feed through at the same rate.  And slow stitching goes with the walking foot, another bonus when sewing with metallic thread.

It's going to add a lot of quilting time to this quilt, but the quilt is small and the payoff is worth it.  And the outline quilting, adding sparkles, is kind of zen.

Yesterday I got my hair cut, for the first time in nine months.  There was only one stylist working, and only one customer finishing up.  The customer had her mask under her nose, which didn't make me happy, but I decided to mentally give her grace since she was elderly, maybe she was having trouble breathing.  And she was a good distance from me.

I've found that I like wearing my hair up sometimes so I just got a quick trim.  In and out.  

No comments: