Saturday, December 15, 2018

Santa's Snow Plow


Santa's Snow Plow.  2001.

I actually ordered this from ebay after Christmas since I really wanted it.  A nice reminder of my dad, who was a farmer and always had red tractors.  He farmed well into retirement age, probably until age 80.  I think he especially enjoyed that last decade of farming, when his farm and equipment were paid off and he was no longer responsible for a family.  If he had a good year he could buy a nice piece of equipment and if he didn't, he still had social security.

I can remember how opposed he was to social security in his younger years, feeling that he could use the required contribution better to grow his farming.  In the end, I'm sure he was grateful to have some  retirement money for all those years.

Rain this morning and pretty much all day.  The sound is so nice, better than the sound of snow plows, there would be lots of snow if it was colder.  Fifty degrees.

I've ordered a pie and rolls from Graeter's for pick-up on Christmas Eve.  There may even be store-bought frozen lasagna for Christmas day, when we put the lasagna in the oven and go to the movies.  As my Swiss grandmother used to say, "Things can't always be the same."  I am so much less stoic than she was, but these words have  stayed with me.  

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

The snow plow ornament and the memories it brings--priceless.
I so wish there was a good bakery where I could order a pie and rolls. None here.
We will have homemade Polish Pierogi for Christmas Eve and the next week. I made so many!!!
and we love them so much!!!! and with the iPhone my son and I can compare our dumplings
from one coast to the other as we make them.