Friday, November 2, 2018

Pie Crusts



When had I last made pie crusts?  A year ago?  Two?  Five?  On those rare occasions when I bake pie - not a current family favorite - it's so tempting to grab one of those ready-made crusts from the grocery case.

But this time I bought Crisco, there was none in my cupboard and hadn't been in forever.  Luckily, I'd made enough pie crusts in earlier times and the memory was still there.  And it's easy, you all.  If you haven't made one recently, give it a try.

My rolling pin, a lovely metal one with ball bearings, came from S&H green stamps that my mother in law gave me forty plus years ago.  Prior to that rolling pin, I'd made do with a Coke bottle.

It was well known in family lore that the Habeggers loved pie.  My dad would eat it for breakfast, after his eggs, if there was any available.  Raisin pie was his favorite.  My mother made great pies, often double-crusted with a cut-out in the middle.

There is a pumpkin pie in the oven now, to be followed by pecan and an apple pie that has a granola topping.  I think it will be a good morning.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I would definitely eat pie after eating my breakfast--or instead of breakfast!
We ate a lot of pies during my childhood.