Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cut It Up

I've been wanting to try this ragged edge pillow from Better Homes and Gardens Bags, Pillows, and Pincushions (actually, I've been wanting to try a whole ragged edge quilt, but it took me ages to just get to the pillow) and I love the embroidery design you saw a week or so on a bag.

I decided to embroider the bag design again, then cut it up for the pillow. I enjoy cutting quilts and other things - don't know why, but once I did it a couple of times I found it kind of freeing. There was an unwritten rule in my head that you don't cut up nice things, never mind that they might have an even better life in a different form.

The pillow was fun, fast too. The wrong sides are sewn together instead of right sides together, then the edges are cut (there's that word again) every half inch or so. The whole piece gets cut in the washer, then the dryer, and ends up with ragged fluffy edges. Then the back is put on.

When I went to the store to pick up a pillow form, my neighbor was there buying drapery fabric. Turns out that he does draperies at home. I need to get to know him better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty - many cool projects of late.
Sarah