Sunday, December 12, 2021

Happy Seventeenth

 


Happy seventeenth birthday to Nora, my beloved granddaughter.  Her bassoon is decorated for Christmas.

I said "her" bassoon, but it isn't really, it belongs to the school band program.  Bassoons are very expensive and the students don't usually own them.  Perhaps I need to begin keeping an eye out for a nice used one, with an eye out to her graduation and loss of this instrument.  That is still eighteen months away.

A few years ago I got her a used "step up" trombone, which was a good purchase.  At the Christmas concert this week, she will play bassoon with the Symphonic I band and trombone with the Symphonic II band.  Her school is large and they actually have a third basic band class.

I have hopes that Aaron will take at least that basic band class.  He is more into athletics but he enjoys percussion in his middle school band.  Band class isn't every day and he looks forward to the band days.  

But, Nora's birthday - something I look forward to every year.  Remembering that winter morning seventeen years ago.

No comments: