Monday, December 13, 2021

Cutout Cookies

 

Cut-out cookies for my church's Community Meal.

My mother was the master of baking cut-out cookies, and she made so many of them.  A batch or two every day leading to Christmas, and she would store them in a cool bedroom upstairs in a blue canner.  She had all the colors of sugars, plus little silver beads and probably a few other little decorations.  And lots of cookie cutters.

My brothers and sister and I got to sample the ones that over-browned, but not the nice ones, until Christmas Eve.

My sister was also good at making the cookies, although she doesn't any more.  But me, I never made nice ones, even though I have my mother's recipe.  Every few years I'd try and every few years they didn't work out.

But this year, I finally realized that I had been substituting margarine for the butter in my mother's recipe and it might be worth trying again.  And here we are, nice little cookies.  And so there are a couple of sticks of butter softening on my counter for more cookie baking.

Over the years I've given awaymost of my cookie cutters, but I still have a few nice copper ones, and a few is all I need.



No comments: