Friday, December 3, 2021

Gift of a Warm December Day

Yesterday was one of those gift late fall days - temperature reached 60 degrees.  I had a chance to do some of those tasks that were still waiting.

Finally, I hosed off the floor mats from my car, then put the hose away for winter.  Gathered the little geranium containers whose contents now looked so sad.  Emptied the smaller pots.

Went to the car wash to vacuum.  I don't know why I didn't wash the outside while I was there, but I was on an interior mission.  When I bought my house I didn't think about how street parking, on the other side of the street, meant that there would be no at-home washing or vacuuming.  A tiny inconvenience when so many people sleep on the sidewalk.

Today looks like another nice warm day.  If there are to be outside Christmas lights, this may be the day.  And if I want to expand the back yard garden a little, this may be the day to lay down some cardboard and put top soil on top.  It's called lasagna gardening and I'm a fan.  By summer the ground will be ready for planting.  I'm thinking some small sunflowers and a summer squash rotation.

There are a few hand gardening tools on the back porch to put away, more smaller pots to empty.  Leaves to sweep - again.

I hope everyone has a good day.  Do what you love.  

2 comments:

Angie said...

I'm a huge fan of lasagna gardening. I used to do a lot of it at the lake house. Haven't found my stride yet with this other house that I'm spending most of my time at this year. Maybe eventually I will get back to that. :D

Joanne S said...

Hello Connie and Angie!!!!!
Yes to lasagna gardening- did you know that worms absolutely LOVE cardboard???
Now the master gardeners had some different thoughts as to the worms loving the cardboard itself or the glue. I went with the cardboard as I had been adding it to the compost pile as "brown" and it was always gone. I also added brown paper grocery bags when they were free- now we get charged for them. I also add all the shredded newspapers and bills to my compost piles. to even out the "wet" with "dry".And the newspaper. Ink is vegetable based and has been for over 20 or more years now.