Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Santa and Macy's

 


Seven years ago, I think.  Nora would have been nine, Aaron six.  We were at the downtown Cincinnati Macy's.  With the real Santa - every year the same Santa so he must have been the real one.  

There is no longer a downtown Macy's.  I heard rumors that Santa had relocated to a mall but that was never verified.

I can easily recall the joy of being in that downtown Macy's at Christmas time.  Riding the escalator, admiring the huge red and silver balls and other decorations.  And the perfume and make-up counters.  One year, I bough pajamas for my sister.  And, of course, waiting in the line to see Santa.

Even the skywalk between Macy's and Carew Tower is gone now  There is still the big tree on Fountain Square and ice skating on the square.  The big tree in the building across the street.  The selection of ice cream and bakery goodies at the downtown Graeter's.

An excellent memory:  one summer afternoon it was just Aaron and me, downtown.  He paused and looked up at the buildings and said, ""Oh, downtown's high."

No comments: