Sunday, March 1, 2020

Banner for Lent


This morning I hung a banner for Lent.  It's supposed to be a representation of the forty days in the desert during Lent.  I used Kraft paper from a roll, sewed in a header, and started crinkling from the bottom.  Excellent wrist therapy.  At the end, I just stood on it to get more crinkling.  There are fewer crinkles at the top, and that's ok, like going into the desert.

Yesterday the tee shirt quilt left.  My guest bed looks empty without it.  No pictures yet, until the gift is given to the young lady.  There were three bags of tee shirts unused, and now they are gone too.

In the last post, I mentioned things undone, and the banner was one.  Another was getting purple candles for the communion table.  I didn't find purple pillar candles, so I used white candles and wrapped them with purple glitter tulle.  Hoped for no fire, and there was none.  This week I'll order the six purple candles, burn them for an hour, and have them ready to swap out for next week.  At the first Sunday of Lent, today, all six candles were lit and one was extinguished at the end of the service.  Next Sunday all the candles will be there but only five will be lit.

Another task was to hem four pairs of pants, and now that's done too.  A Jeans 16 needle makes all the difference in hemming heavy pants.  And a ball point 10 needle is perfect for hemming light knits.  I'm down to my last needle in both, need to pick up more.

I was trying to explain to someone today that the reason I have so many sewing tools and threads is because I do different types of sewing.  Don't know if that sunk in, but it makes sense to me.  One of my current joys is a wool pressing mat, so great for pressing open quilting seams.  


No comments: