Friday, March 1, 2019

Recipe Box


In my quest for a recipe for orange cake, I dug out this recipe box that lived - why? - with some rarely used kitchen items stored in the basement.  I never did find the orange cake recipe but did find the frosting recipe that went with it.  I used a lemon cake mix and substituted orange juice for the water and added grated orange rind.  With the frosting, I'm sure it was fine.

It was nostalgic to look at a few recipe cards from people long deceased.  My husband's aunt's cookies.  A neighbor's transparent pie.  There were recipes clipped from newspapers and magazines.  For things I no longer make.  I guess that's why the box lived out of sight.

I'm planning to finish piecing a baby quilt top this morning and then move on to a few alterations.  And laundry, oh, my goodness.  It should be a quiet weekend, snow on Sunday.  Temperatures heading down to single digits as the week begins.  

But, it's March, everyone.  March!  What a lovely thing!

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Just the thought of orange cake with orange cream frosting. Yum.
March. A difficult month here in Maine. Last March a terrible storm and closed schools and cancelled
gardening classes. Around the middle of the month. Not Spring.