Friday, March 29, 2019

Opening Day



My favorite baseball phrase comes in February:  Pitchers and Catchers Reporting for Duty.  But my next favorite is just two words:  Opening Day.

And that was yesterday.  It was a perfect day, sunny and high 60's.  Reds won.  There was a pinch-hit three-run home run by one of the new guys.  And the Pirates stranded three men on base in the 9th.  Fireworks at the end, heard from my porch.  It is truly spring now.

Several years ago my friend gave me the quilt to turn face up when the Reds win and face down when they lose.  Last year there were a lot of face downs.  Hoping for a better year this year.

Yesterday my grand guy was home sick.  To chirk him up, we texted game updates.  Today he's better and back in school.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I was a huge fan of the Cleveland Indians back in grade school and into high school. The race riots and violence in Cleveland put an end to that during the 60's--G and I talked of going to a game the summer we got married--everyone was horrified and said NO NO NO!!! 1968. Now a days, I see they have a gorgeous and SAFE to visit, stadium and a winning team. I have no interest in the Boston team.