Friday, January 6, 2012

Day Three

Last night came the hand-off - Aunt Tina has the kids for two days. Then tomorrow night after work, I'll pick up Aaron and Nora will stay with Tina. Both kids are so well behaved in the only-child role. The only-child scenerio was scheduled to begin earlier in the day, but tomorrow is one of my Saturdays to work this month.

I was happy to relinquish my role, and yet today, I missed those kids.

Yesterday after school (Nora's school, Aaron was still in his) Nora and I took the bedspread to the laundromat. The bedspread was a casualty of the sickness earlier in the week. Nora was happy to show me to laundromat ropes since Steph had taken her once when they were temporarily between washers. How to get change. How to put in the quarters. The joy of the machine that dispenses temporary tattoos.

Then we stopped at the DQ before picking up Aaron. Nora chose a vanilla cone and quickly entered the cone zone, feeling the texture with her lips, swirling the ice cream with her tongue. She was all happy and dreamy and contemplated the curl on the top and the cone on the bottom. She became so relaxed.

I really, really, really wished that I'd kept up with technology and had a camera phone. Soon.

We picked up Aaron and he gave one of his new teachers a quick hug. She's a young and pretty brunette, just the type he favors. He was dismayed earlier in the week that his beloved Ms. Judy was gone for a few days, but he quickly became an admirer of Ms. Amber too.

No comments: