Monday, June 30, 2008

What's In There?

Today's postcard

As part of my organization, I moved the cedar chest that lives in my office to a new spot under the window, where it doubles as an extension area for my desk and opens up a chunk of wall space for something different, yet undeterminded.

In the process, I took a look to review what's in there that I decided was so important.

There are two of these quilts, quilted by a great-aunt on my mother's side. They are very heavy, knotted, made of a woven material, and initialed but not dated. I would guess that they may be around 100 years old and have never been used.

There are also two of these quilts, made by another maternal great-aunt, pieced with necktie fabric. They are hand quilted but the stitches are not tiny and precise. These were made for utility, not for show, I'd guess. They are probably around 75 years old. I wish they were dated, but they aren't. They have a little wear.

This little flannel baby quilt was made for my husband around 65 years ago and was used. It is knotted, not quilted. I don't know who made it.


The pink afgan was purchased for my daughter Stephanie by a friend of my mother-in-law. It was purchased before she was born in hopes that after five grandsons this baby would be a girl. The pink dress was a gift from my mother-in-law.

This afgan and little yellow crocheted sweater were gifts for my daughter Sarah. I think that my mother purchased both for her new granddaughter.

And on the bottom, a St. Patrick uniform skirt, practically indestructible, sometimes rolled up at the waist to temporarily shorten it. Always worn with a white blouse. No exceptions.






No comments: