Monday, June 16, 2008

SMD

Today's postcard. This is one I did for the presentation, using ink as a highlight. I've been attracted to the pretty bottles of ink and a red one has been waiting since my last trip to the art store, but I didn't know how to use it. Now I know - just dip a brush into it and use it like paint. It's fascinating how the design on the fabric comes out.

On the road home yesterday, I got a text from Sarah saying, "I've got SMD, Smoky Mountain Depression." That pretty much describes it. I don't know how much time in the Smokies is enough, but three days isn't. As I go through my own withdrawal during the next few days, there will be pictures.

This is the start of our Friday hike to Grotto Falls, not far outside Gatlinburg. For a weekday, there was quite a crowd at the falls.

Midway up, we saw this bear with her two cubs that she was trying to herd across the trail. Hikers coming down said she was getting aggitated and snarling, which made us wonder why the cluster of hikers is standing so close. Trust me, we were a long ways away. Gotta love the digital zoom.

Steph and Nora at the falls.

Bridget's newhews had a great time scrambling over the rocks and trying to catch salamanders, with a few successes.

We got back to the campground to find that Sarah and Helen's friend Jack had arrived from North Carolina. Sarah and I took a short hike outside the campground toward evening.


Traffic and parking are restricted to the Elkmont area on the June evenings when the fireflies are putting on their show, and noncampers must come to the area on the trolley. Camping is definitely the best way to get access and to find uncrowded areas to watch the firefly activity.




1 comment:

Jane said...

HI Connie,I'd be depressed too LOL! Looks like you had a great time... love the photo of the falls and sunlight... enjoy your week!