Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Fill-In # 78

Today's postcard

Thanks, Janet, for Friday Fill-Ins. Answers are in bold.

1. Birthdays are to be enjoyed and celebrated, with the celebration extending over a few weeks. Not the actual party, but the personal acknowledgment of the joy of living. And there's nothing quite like birthday cake.

2. Spring is my favorite season because the weather starts to warm up and the days are getting longer. I like summer too, the growing season and hot days, but since the days are starting to shorten it doesn't rank as high as spring with me.

3. I feel my best when I'm in my studio creating. Or planning what to make next. Or even just cleaning after a project's completed. Or when I'm dyeing fabrics and wondering how they will come out.

And after that, when I'm with family. When I'm in the mountains. When I'm learning.

4. Grilled cheese is my favorite food, at least this week. With its cousin quesadillas right behind. And whatever's at the farmer's market. If I haven't had pizza for a few weeks, then that's a favorite. There seems to be a cheese theme going on here.

5. First impressions are fun, usually right on with me. I heard a retired Department of Justice person say this week that because of her former job she knows how to read people. I thought that was interesting, since I think of reading people as intuitive, not learned. I'm sure it can be, though, watching and listening. Maybe that's what intuition is anyway.

6. The best piece of advice I ever received was from the pediatrician when I was leaving the hospital with my first-born. He said not to bundle the baby too warmly or overdress her, that illnesses come from germs, not cold. I remembered that not only when the girls were babies but when they were older and insisted that they were "warm enough" without that extra layer.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to starting a new book, tomorrow my plans include working and walking by the river in the evening, and Sunday I want to go to church and head over to JoAnn's and Michael's afterward, then starting a summer dress for Nora. I haven't done any garment sewing for a long time and want to take a crack at it.

Happy weekend, everyone.

3 comments:

Daisy @ Our Growing Family said...

I totally agree with #6 - about bundling the kids too warmly. I always let Camden choose how many layers he needs based on how he feels (though sometimes I may insist he put a jacket in his backpack "just in case"). He usually dresses more warmly in the winter than I would have him - with gloves and a hat when he might not need it. The cold won't make them sick, and they need to learn to listen to what their bodies need. (And I know I'm much more cold-natured than Camden, so he would know more about himself than I would!). Seems to have worked just fine so far. Glad to hear others do the same. I cringe when people force their kids to put on too much b/c they're afraid they'll get sick.

Oh - and Happy (belated) Birthday! I missed it somehow when you blogged about it. I hope it was great! :)

Bellezza said...

There's not much better than starting a new book, and I love your thought on extending birthday joy/celebration. My philosophy exactly!

Janet said...

What book are you starting?

Thanks for playing and enjoy your weekend :-)