Monday, June 2, 2008

May Take It Further Challenge Finished

Today's postcard

The question for May's Take It Further Challenge is "What do you call yourself?" Artist, Craftsperson, Maker, etc.

I tentatively call myself an artist, ummm, I guess. I can take a piece of plain beige-y muslin from here

to here, and in doing so I am making something which did not exist before on this earth. Not in reality, probably not in anyone's imagination except mine.


Quilt is 8 1/2" x 12"
Yet there's something in me that feels like an imposter when I define myself as an artist. I wasn't trained in art school. My Master of Arts has nothing to do with paint brushes, drawing pencils, colors. So I've put a netting shadow on the bottom of my quilt, representing this shadow part that says, "You're not an artist, not really, what do you think you're doing calling yourself that?"






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

get rid of the netting.
nothing phony about it.

-steph