Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Leaving Rehab

 


I'm celebrating discharge from rehab one month ago today.  (The picture was probably taken on Christmas Day, I remember wearing the red shirt and pajama pants.)  

A month ago today was my first full day of being allowed to get out of bed without supervision.  Without that belt that the helpers put around me.  To go to the bathroom without using the call button was so, so awesome.

I was eager to leave and was happy to pack away my clothes and miscellaneous items by myself.  My daughters came, the nurse with the wheel chair came, and then I was in the car.  I thought I knew where the facility was located, but as we drove away I realized it wasn't exactly where I thought it was.  

We drove down I-71, exited to 471, stopped at Graeter's for ice cream for the family Christmas gathering planned for that afternoon.  Then up the steps to my house - I think I was carried up the steps more than walked up them.

And there was my chair, my Christmas tree, a refrigerator full of things I could choose whenever I felt like it.  Soon there were my precious grandchildren and son-in-law.  I couldn't even be sad that I had to go to bed before the end of the gathering.

Maybe later we'll celebrate the accomplishments of the past month.










No comments: