Saturday, April 25, 2020

The Salmon Story

No picture today, just this story.

When I made out my grocery pick-up order, I decided to see if I could get a piece of fresh salmon.  Last time, I ordered there was none available when the pick-up day came.  This time the option was for 2 1/2 pounds, too much for me, so I asked my daughter if she would like half if I ordered it.  Yes.

Yesterday morning when the text list of possible substitutions came, the salmon choice was for a one-pound fillet in place of 2 1/2 pounds.  So, ok.  Being the mom, I decided I'd just give Steph and Nora the small piece and say nothing more about it.

But when I unpacked my groceries, there was a huge piece of salmon, 4 pounds.  It was enormous.  I've learned in the past that grocery store salmon doesn't freeze well, I'm guessing because it had previously been frozen.  So, I cut off about a pound for myself and sent the rest with Steph.

She and Nora had some for dinner, with enough left over for lunch.  Then she cooked the rest and shared it with two other families.

And I felt happy, the happiest I've felt in days.  I enjoy feeding people but these days I don't cook big meals.  One of my favorite things is to take my family out for a meal.  I know that it will be a long time before that happens again, big groups of people in restaurants.  I know I'll miss that.

This other way of sharing food was a blessing to me.  It lifted my spirits.  It gave me hope, and that has been in short supply. 


No comments: