Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Trip Around the World


I'm pretty excited about Melody Johnson's annual February Quilt Along With Melody.  For one thing, this year is an adaptation of Trip Around the World, which I really like but I can't conceive of cutting out and arranging all those little squares.  I saw a speedier version once, but it still involved long strips and all those little squares.

Melody is using Bonnie Hunter's tutorial, which is so easy and can use lots of scraps.  Thirty-six easy little squares at a time, done with strips.  I tried out a block this morning, very doable.  I didn't time it, but it went quickly, and I press a lot.  I'll probably use a gray fabric throughout, just for some continuity.

Another reason to be excited:  when I do Quilt Along With Melody, I actually plan to keep the quilts for myself.  I make lots of quilts as donations or gifts, and it's nice, every now and then, to make one for myself.  I'm thinking brightening up one of my bedrooms.  Both could use some brightening.     

No comments: