Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bad Sewing Day, Maybe


I'm teaching a class on Saturday, making a wool felt bag.  I made the sample early in January, which is a long time ago in my memory bank, so I'm making another this week.

Only thing is, I ran out of the Superior 30-weight thread I was using.  I got it last year at the Cincinnati Quilt Show, and I've loved it.  A little too much, apparently, I know I've used it several times.  I went to the Superior web site and they had it (New Brytes by Carol Bryer Fallert) at a really great price.  Only thing is, it was a Try Me Sample and there was no choice of colors.  I did the honorable thing and ordered three, plus a few other threads, but that didn't help me with my project.  I might get pink, then again, I might not, and either way, I'm sure I won't have it by Friday.

The only thread I had that was close in color was serger thread, so that's what I used, but it's a 50-weight thread so there was a definite difference.  Not only in color but also in weight.  I was about 1/3 finished with sewing the blocks together so I finished them up with the serger thread, then chose another stitch and went over everything again.  The stitching doesn't look the best and the two stitches really don't compliment each other, but it looks ok.  No one who doesn't examine it closely will know the difference.

I guess it can't be too bad a sewing day - I have new thread coming. 

No comments: