Wednesday, April 15, 2009

More Easter

Sometimes I still get the church calendar wrong. I thought that Easter was the last day of Lent and really it's the first day of Pentacost. The reason I'm telling you this is to explain why I quickly made a new banner last week instead of just as quickly, I'm sure, making one this week.

The Pentacost theme is None Can Stop the Spirit and the visual was to be a banner of a globe with children surrounding it. The fabric was to be light enough that a fan could create ripples in the banner, representing the wind of the Spirit.

It was recommended that the fabric be painted, but the thought of that was scary to me, so I did it all in fabric. I decided to put the children inside the globe instead of surrounding it. I did try to make the globe look like it might have looked had it been painted.

I've found that I really enjoy sanctuary art. Instead of my usual small scale it's much larger, and the finishing I usually think is so important isn't necessary here. And yes, the fan really does ripple the fabric. Good thing I bought two fans, though - the smaller one just didn't do it.
From Asheville, here are two Easter pictures. Sarah and Winnie colored eggs at Winnie's parents' house and spent Easter there. Both the women and the eggs are, well . . . gorgeous.



No comments: