Tuesday, October 23, 2007

That Woman

The latest Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting has a light-hearted article called Kaleidoscope Workshop. It follows a woman as she prepares last minute for her guild's workshop, not taking her assigned items and the proper materials. Once there, she borrows from her neighbor, spills her soda, and doesn't follow the teacher's instructions, sure that her way is better.

I've thought about that article as I've worked the past two days on my homework assignments for an online class. The class involves sewing curves, and that's why I signed up for it, but somewhere along the way, I've turned into that woman, you know, the one in the previous paragraph.

I'm late starting my homework because as I read over the assignment and did some practicing, I just knew that I wouldn't be happy with my work unless I fused it instead of sewing those curves. Same with applying appliqued strips. The teacher is great, the lessons are clear, it's just me. I procrastinated, thinking maybe I could talk myself into doing the lessons as assigned, but no.
Finally I just started on what I know will make my happy. So far all is good, but who knows what will happen when I open lesson 3. Maybe my piece will be too firm to work with what comes next. If that happens, I'll be happy to have a new quilt with what I've done so far.

And a really nice thing is that I tried to fuse a sheer fabric (that was actually in the lesson.) I'd always been afraid that the sheer would melt, but with a pressing cloth it didn't. I can see all sorts of applications for that down the road.
Yesterday afternoon it started to rain, and it's rained pretty steadily since then. I'm both grateful for the rain and soothed by the sound. Maybe, just maybe, I will plant the pansies and ornamental kale that I've been enjoying, and watering, on my front porch.

No comments: