Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Quilted Postcards

I love the idea of the quilted postcard. It's size is the attraction. Just a thought, a few snips, quickly finished as quilts go, yet it conveys to someone that I was thinking of them and gives them my thought to hold in their hands.

It's a great chance to try a new technique, to use those left-over pieces of a beautiful fabric, to play with beads. On a sturdy background it's an easy way to try free motion stitching since the piece moves so easily. No hoops or gloves needed. I have to admit that, much as it's not my usual personality type, I'm Type A enough to want to send my postcards in a mailer instead of just putting the postage on the back and dropping them in a mail box.

When I left Berea, Bev, Gail, and Gus gave me a beautiful made-in-Kentucky beaded basket. I keep it beside my sewing table and put in those precious scraps of fused hand-dyed fabrics to use for these tiny quilts. I think of them every time, and I think they'd be pleased to know that their gift has a special purpose.


Here's a postcard I just made for a family who are welcoming a second adopted daughter.


And here's one waiting to be mailed to a friend.


I hope that quilters don't forget about making postcards as they move on to other things. They represent the capture of a thought, a touch to a friend, a day that's just a little lighter.

No comments: