Tuesday, May 4, 2021

The House Where I Lived


Last week someone posted on facebook a picture of the house where I lived in Berea.

Right now, I have the house I need, in the place where I need it, but seeing this picture reminded me of the things that I miss.

A first floor laundry room with a wall of closets with shelves.  A sweet little pantry.  A kitchen large enough to eat in.  A usable garage and a big driveway with plenty of parking.  A fireplace.  A high deck and a shady deck.  Enclosed outdoor storage under one of the decks.  A nice half bath.  And gardens - so many gardening spaces, no longer there now.  I could even go out the bedroom windows and clean out the gutters from the roof.

If I lived there today I'd use the big family room, the single story, as a sewing room.  With doors at the two entrances so I'd have a private space.  I'd combine triple paned windows and walls with great insulation in place of the glassed-in porch across the back and make that a family room.

I could be very happy living there.  Although the yard is big for mowing.  And the driveway is big for shoveling snow.  I'm probably too old to be going out on the roof.  I have no need for four bedrooms.

It's in a small town.  I'd miss the easy access I have for non-Walmart shopping.  The quilt shop down the street and the big library.  The city view I have coming home, the river view I can get to in a few minutes.  My church.  I'd miss the grandkids. 

Home is wherever I am - I know that.  

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

My sister in law recently moved into the Summer Cabin on the lake and closed in the open back sleeping porch. It's where she sews and makes quilts now. Looking out over the water. The cabin belonged to husbands family. Then belonged to his brother and now his widow lives there. My children loved to sleep on the covered porch when we visited. I think I even liked sleeping out there.

Visiting old (past) homes is always such a moment of discovery. A sweet little pantry.
In one house I miss the wall of windows in the second smallest bedroom where I had a long desk and the computer. I would love to have that back. And I had a sweet pantry close in the kitchen. Which I was always rearranging. In hindsight- I loved that house best of all of them.