Friday, May 21, 2021

Red Candles

 


Red candles, for Pentecost, which is Sunday.  My church is still on Zoom and we needed a visual to use during the service.  Red symbolizes joy and the fire of the Holy Spirit.  I had to look that up.

And so, I had five red votives left from the band fund raiser.  And last week I made a Cincinnati Reds mask and used this fabric for lining so I knew just where to put my fingers on it.  I always enjoy the back stories of how things come together.  One of the pandemic lessons has been to think about what is available right here, in my home, to make whatever it is that I want to make.

I guess that now I can put aside the elastics for mask-making.  I never did have a box of masks on my sidewalk for neighbors to help themselves.  The masks just disappeared out the door in groups of two or three.  Yesterday at Kroger almost everyone was still wearing them.  

Yesterday afternoon I watched a live stream of the awards ceremony at Nora's high school.  Masks on everyone.  Lots of the perfect attendance students weren't there because they were part of the group that learned online this year.  I wonder what the first days of school will be like for them next year, especially for the students who were freshmen this year.

What a year it's been, in so many ways.

No comments: