Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Fill-In # 99

Friday Fill-In time. Answers are in bold.

1. The last band I saw live was The Campbell Brothers and that wasn't recently. They played gospel music and called it Sacred Steel Guitars. The female vocalist could really sing. It was at a convocation at Berea College, and I miss those. I'm sure that more recently I heard bluegrass bands at the Traditional Music Festival, but I don't know their names. The whole evening of good bluegrass just blends together.

2. What I look forward to most about Thanksgiving used to be days off, a whole bunch of them, a quieting of the work schedule. Now that I'm working in retail that won't be happening, but I'm still looking forward to time with family and friends, cooking the meal, the time to be grateful.

3. My Christmas shopping isn't started, and I used to try to be finished by Thanksgiving. Like everyone else, I'll be cutting back this year, but that isn't the reason for my procrastination, it's more that time seems to be flying by. I hope I get a chance to make a few projects, including Aaron's Raggedy Andy and Nora's quilt.

4. Thoughts of cold weather and snow fill my head. I noticed last year that the weather people here really hype the snow and the same thing has started already. Calm down, you guys.

5. I wish I could wear warm weather clothes on the beach. I've had the beach on my mind for months now. Something about the sound of the surf and seeing the water stretch on forever is so seductive. Aside from that, I wish I could wear sandals with the little piece between the toes. I never could wear those.

6. Bagpipes remind me of a December funeral I attended where people filed out to the mournful sound of Amazing Grace played on bagpipes. I looked at the widow, who was relatively young, and wondered how she could bear losing her husband so early. And almost a year later, I was in her position. She continued on with her good work at the New Opportunity School for Women, a live-in three-week workshop held twice a year for women in transition, giving them a chance to try a job, put together a resume, gain self-confidence. Really amazing work, she's one of my role models.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight my plans include going out for appetizers after work, then scooting home to work on my quilt, tomorrow I plan to conclude the Beginning Sewing Workshop and hopefully pick up my new glasses afterwards if they're ready, and Sunday I want to do the rest of the Thanksgiving shopping and planning. There is a Thanksgiving potluck after church and I know that will put me in the mood.

Happy Friday, everyone.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Hope you have a good weekend and enjoy your potluck ;0)