Saturday, February 9, 2008

Musical Day

Today's postcard - commercial valentine on hand-dyed fabric


I wanted to attend a couple of Arts Sampler Weekend events that I usually might not choose, so in the morning I went to Cincinnati Opera Education: "This Little Light of Mine: The Stories of Marian Anderson and Leontyne Price." Andienne Danrich told stories about the two women and sang opera songs. I don't know a lot about music, especially opera, and didn't know the story of Marian Anderson, who sang to 75,000 people at the Lincoln Memorial because of DAR barred her from singing in Constitution Hall because she was black. Eleanor Roosevelt gave up her DAR membership because of their decision.

After that performance in Northern Kentucky, I walked across the Purple People Bridge into Cincinnati. The temperature was 50 degrees but windy and it was cold and more windy on the bridge.

The Taft Museum is just a few blocks from the bridge. The program said there was to be an all-women's contemporary gospel choir, but there were three young pianists instead, each pretty amazing.

After the concert I looked around the museum, which is in what was the Taft Home. I'll go back another time to pay more attention to the extensive art collected by the Taft family, but this time I was too busy looking at the house. The rooms aren't fully furnished, like in the Biltmore House, but there is some furniture and it was like getting a look at someone's beautiful home.

Here's a view from the Cincinnati end of the bridge, looking down.


Here's looking across. You can see why the area below is called serpentine wall. The river is high, a few feet from flood stage.


With all the wind, the sky was pretty and blue with nice cloud formations. I'm not sure where the pink splotches and the pink streak on the right side came from, but I like the effect.








1 comment:

Jo Raines said...

Thank you for your kind comments on my crazy quilting project. I love your beautiful Valentine. I'm adding your blog to my links so I can visit you again!