Saturday, May 14, 2022

Comforter Knotting

 


Ir may have been awhile, if ever, since you've seen comforters being knotted.  Instead of quilting, knots are tied every few inches through layers of backing, batting, and top.  A binding is added later.

My church friends are knotting several comforters tomorrow for Mennonite Central Committee to take to Ukraine.  Hopefully lots of people will help out and we will get several done.  We have eight to do.  Several of us got together Thursday and put four on frames ready to go.

The battings are thicker than I would usually use, and the knotting goes a lot faster than quilting.  No special skill required.  

I'm pretty sure I have a few knotted quilts in my cedar chest, and a couple are really old.  Knotting was a practical way of getting things done.  Still is.


No comments: