Saturday, January 2, 2021

Starting Out

 


My friend and I started on a New Year's project, making blocks with Cake Mix Recipe Papers.  We were to start on New Year's Eve.  Not a surprise, she is doing well, chose a pattern according to the directions, and has several blocks completed.  Also, not a surprise, once I saw the wealth of half square triangles each sheet produced, I decided to go in a different direction.

My plan is to continue making all these little blocks - each Cake Mix Recipe sheet makes 18 - all through January, then see how I want to put them together.  I'm using a layer cake (a package of 42 10" squares) called Grunge Hits the Spot.  It was an accident that I have this particular layer cake so I'm considering it as meant to be.  There are lots of colors to pair with an off-white layer cake.

I have never been a fan of half square triangles, those little blocks in the plastic bags in the picture, primarily because I just hate to square each little block - make sure it is a perfect square.  It's kind of a fussy thing and the blocks are never square to start with.  Stitching with the papers, then tearing the paper away, brings a nice square block, no finished required.

While I'm working with this, and my other projects, I'm thinking about my goals for the year.  As you know, I'm big on goals, love thinking about what I want to, and can, accomplish.  What I want to be like at the end of the coming year.

One last year's goal I'll need to recycle - getting out of the house more, going more places, seeing more movies, concerts, trying new restaurants.  That was one big flop.

No comments: