Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Art Supplies


I'm taking an online class called Five Things from Liz Lameroux.  It includes journal prompts each day, plus inspiration to go with them.  It was part of a birthday gift to my best and only niece and I decided to do it too. 

Of course it took me awhile to get started and most days I don't get my list finished.  I figure I can go back again next month and redo and revise and enjoy the class all the longer.

What I've learned:  it makes me happy just to have the pencils and markers and scissors out and ready to pick up.  That shifts how I think of myself.  Maybe, for me, that is the gift of the class, more than the journaling.

Those of you who who enjoy music and are peace and justice oriented should check out Stephanie Hollenberg's virtual-directed hymn My Soul Cries Out on You Tube.  Stephanie calls it "A cry from Mennonites across the US for an end of white supremacy and police brutality against our siblings of color."  This hymn is in one of our Mennonite song books, not sure which one.  I'll share here just the first verse and refrain.  Written by Darren Morehouse.

My soul cries out with a joyful shout
that the God of my heart is great,
And my spirit sings of the wonderous things
that you bring to the one who waits.
You fixed your sight on the servant's plight,
and my weakness you did not spurn,
So from east to west shall my name be blest.
Could the world be about to turn?

Refrain:
My heart shall sing of the day your bring.
Let the fires of your justice burn.
Wipe away all tears,
For the dawn draws near,
And the world is about to turn.

And, 6 - 3, you all.  My soul rejoices whenever I think of it.

No comments: