Thursday, November 7, 2019

Tee Shirt Quilting


The tee shirt quilt I'm working on has been on the living floor for three days while the what-ifs swirled around it.

It's two-sided, meaning that there are tee shirt blocks front and back.  And the biggest what-if was "what if I can't line it up right so the blocks on the back are right on top of the blocks on the front."  I think it worked out pretty well.  I put the top on the batting and stitched in the ditch.  Then I used those lines to pin on the back.  I stabilized that with swirled lines so that it wouldn't show on the front if the stabilizing was slightly off.

And now I can quilt, which is the part I enjoy and look forward to.  Another what-if was "what if the quilter doesn't like to quilt through two thicknesses of screen printing."  So far all is well.  Shout out to my Viking Platinum 16, which is made by Handi-Quilter.

Plus, I wanted one thread color on top and another on the bottom.  "What if the tension isn't perfect and little bits of color show through, especially on the curves?"  Hasn't happened.

I have no idea how long the quilting will take.  It's the kind of thing that I can pick up and put down.  Really, it works better for me that way.  It gives my shoulders a chance to relax.

You might wonder if a two-sided tee shirt quilt might be heavy and you'd be right.  But this customer wanted as many tee shirts as possible and it's for memory, not for use.

No comments: