Wednesday, November 6, 2019

New Governor


We will have a new governor in Kentucky.  Probably.  Maybe.  The race was so close and the current Republican governor is not conceding.  And so, it will continue to play out, for not too long, I hope.  In the past week, Trump, Pence, and Ben Carson all came to campaign.  They really wanted this one.

I have read that Kentucky is the Trumpiest state.  The president carried the state by 30 points during his election.  The governor was very unpopular, however.  I don't think a single teacher voted for him.  

My county, which I consider quite red, voted for the new governor.  I am looking at my neighbors a little differently this morning, feeling a little less alone.  If nothing else, this election shows once again how divided we are, how much work we need to do to move together.

Already I've seen facebook posts urging Kentucky toward the next goal, to Ditch Mitch in 2020.

This election reminds me of the North Carolina governor's race in 2016.  The Democrat won by the narrowest of margins, the Republican governor would not concede, and it took a long time to get it all settled.  I hope for smooth continuity here.

No comments: