Wednesday, November 27, 2019

More Bread


Once the jar of yeast was open yesterday, I decided to go ahead and make oatmeal bread from the More With Less cookbook.  I didn't have the quick oats the recipe called for, so I used steel cut oats.

What I learned:  there is a reason why the recipe calls for quick oats.  The loaves with steel cut oats are dense, crunchy, for some reason less sweet.  The slices really need butter to taste nice, and I'm not usually a butter eater.  I used the same amount of butter in the recipe as I always do - two tablespoons for two loaves.

I think that if I didn't have the memory of how the oatmeal bread usually tastes I'd be happy with these new loaves.  So, I've frozen one for the Christmas holidays and I think everyone will be happy.

Soon to be, thinking of happy, homemade applesauce.  The grands love it.  One container for tomorrow, one for Christmas.  My small chest freezer has been very bare - now it will start to have some good things.

The wind has begun to pick up - it's supposed to be a very breezy day.  Hopefully, the oak leaves will blow off my neighbor's huge tree.  Next week the Gutter Boys are coming to clean my gutters and I'd like the leaves to have fallen by then.

No comments: