Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Gluten Free Bread


My first try at gluten-free bread, to be used for communion on Sunday.  We have folks who need to stay away from gluten and nuts, and we want to everyone to be able to share.

The websites I visited were right.  The dough is sticky, really sticky.  The bread doesn't rise as much as bread with regular flour.  I used a thermometer at the end because apparently if the inside doesn't reach 200 degrees the loaf may fall.  It didn't.

For a smile:  the recipe suggested ginger ale as the liquid, so I used Ale 8 One, which is a Kentucky-made ginger ale and loved by Kentuckians.  I knew that when Sarah comes for Christmas she will be happy to see Ale 8 One in the refrigerator.

It had been a long time since I'd baked, months, really.  But having revisited my jar of yeast, I went ahead and made two oatmeal loaves, after the gluten free loaf was safely tucked away in the freezer.  There may be another picture tomorrow.

I didn't have quick oats, so I substituted steel cut oats.  We'll see how that works out.  And then I realized that I'd used most of my flour for the bread, so I'll need to get more tomorrow for pumpkin bars.  I'm thinking a trip to Family Dollar - no grocery store on the day before Thanksgiving.

No comments: