Thursday, March 8, 2012

Burnett Woods

One of my friends recently moved to a charming neighborhood near Burnett Woods park, and we walked there earlier in the week. Early in my church's history, church members would frequently meet there on Sundays in the summer, so I was curious to see it. Last summer we had a service there, as a sort of remembrance, but that was during my vehicle-less time and I didn't go.

I always enjoy the neighborhood parks in cities, little areas that are so different from their surroundings. My daughter works a few blocks from this pretty little lake, in a multi-floor building with a parking garage.


My friend's neighborhood and the nearby downtown area have the old-fashioned gas lights so I machine quilted a gas light motif for my journal quilt. The pieced and sandwiched quilt is put in the embroidery hoop and an area is embroidered, effectively quilting it, no stablizer required if the design is an outline one like this one.


I used the machine quilting for the little border hearts on the memory quilt I just finished. Since there were fourteen hearts that did mean fourteen stitchings, but they each took only a minute or two.

No comments: