Friday, July 23, 2010

This Time and This Place

I was going to quilt guild with a friend and we stopped at her son's house. This was the house next door, and I was struck by the garden, with its stone work and its exuberance. Very pretty neighborhood - you should have seen the house across the street, like a small castle.

It's a good time for gardens. Really hot, but really rainy too. I don't think I've had such a nice garden since the Aberdeen days. Our water came from deep wells and there was a flat $10 monthly charge. I didn't have an appreciation then for conserving water - that was 25 years ago - and I remember one summer when I'd run the sprinkler all night on my little front yard garden. It was the prettiest garden I've had - until this summer. This is the first year for this garden, but it's filling in fast. I love to go out in the morning and see what's been happening overnight.

Some of my facebook friends were talking about Graeter's ice cream and one likes buckeye blitz. I usually have the sorbet but decided to order the blitz, with chocolate ice cream and peanut butter cookie dough and Graeter's chocolate chunks. Oh, my. Memorable, and it just seemed like summer. This particular Graeter's does a bigger drive-through business than walk-up, but I like the one in Steph's neighborhood, with all the seats full and people sitting outside too. I need to take Nora and Aaron again soon.

No comments: