Monday, July 12, 2010

Post Ecovillage

Three years out from the Ecovillage and I feel a little guilty.

I use the dryer sometimes, although not for heavy things like t shirts and sweatshirts. If I'd just get a good drying rack that would take care of most of the rest, but I haven't.

I have an energy-efficient furnace and a new water heater, but the only appliances with an energy star are the freezer and dishwasher. If I'd have researched the water heater ahead of time, I might have gone with an on-demand model, but there was water all over the floor and I felt like I needed it right then.

Recycling vs. trash? Pretty good, about 50/50, although I'm wondering if Rumpke is going to miss picking up the recycling today, once again. I take short showers and don't use hot water for washing clothes. But, there's my fabric dyeing habit, and that takes lots of water.

My low-grade guilt feels a little better after getting a personalized data sheet from Duke Energy. For both electricity and gas, it shows that my usage is way on the low side for houses of similar size with one person.

Of course, there's always the matter of "do I really need a house this size?" and the answer is "no." I really love it, though, and still plan to use the second floor for an in-home business. Maybe I could get that drying rack and do just a little better.

No comments: