Thursday, July 21, 2022

Knotting

 


I spent a pleasant morning with a friend in the church basement knotting this comforter.  It will go to Mennonite Central Committee's relief work.  According to their website, 45,767 comforters were sent out last year, in the US, Canada, and to foreign countires.  That's a lot of comforters.

When I was very young, I remember being at my grandmother's house when actual hand quilting was done by friends around a quilting frame.  As I grew up, my mother and grandmother would knot quilts.  It's pretty much like it sounds, a needle with cotton crochet thread is pushed down through the top, batting, and backing, then up again and the thread is double knotted.  A quilting frame is still used.

Knotting is much faster than quilting, which I guess is the point.  And, it's kind of zen.  It's the physical handling of the needle, plus the knowing that this has gone on for many years and through many generations.    

No comments: