Thursday, June 3, 2021

Hard Lesson

 

There is nice progress being made on this quilt started years ago.  Just a few more areas to go before starting on the borders.  Except - I am taking out quilting on the green stars - not the one shown here but the first ones I did.

I'm a big believer in that the Universe takes care of quilting bobbles, that they add to the story and texture of the quilt.  But this looked really bad, and I knew when I was quilting it that the design just wasn't right.  And I kept right on, thinking that because of the nature of the block that was the best I could do.

Somewhere toward the middle of the quilt I realized that there was a better way, and now I am taking out stitches, wishing that I'd just skipped those green stars that I knew weren't right.  Taking out involves the trusty seam ripper, snips, tweezers, and time.  Lots of time.  This is a hard lesson, and I hope I've learned it.

This quilt has a story for another day and I really want it to look nice.

Thinking of lots of time - have you heard the Appalachian saying, "What's time to a hog?"  There's even a long-ago song by The Dillards:

What's time to a hog
What's a Nobel Prize to a toad
Or a fiddle to a frog
What's time to a hog
Now everybody knows that hogs don't hurry
And everybody knows that hogs don't worry
It seems to me
We could figure it out
And the refrain:
Everything depends on how you see it
Be the kind of person you can be
Well it seems to me
That's what it's all for

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I had a quilt and it was almost finished. a comment from someone- that I hadn't done something right
or whatever. but it bothered me as the comment came from an excellent quilter.

So I took it apart. I started over. It was worth the trouble.
And the look on that woman's face........priceless. Always best to admit a mistake and correct it.