Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Brown Glassware


My car is weighted down with two boxes of this Franciscan glassware, ready for Goodwill.  

I got them at Tiffin Glass Company, where they were made, back in the 70's, in their sales room.  They were irregular, some were just a little crooked on their bases, some had a tiny bubble or two.  Besides the juice and water glasses, I had sherbet dishes and large glasses without stems.  They sold for $1 each.

Many of my neighbors had these in various colors.  They weren't expensive in the sales room, and they didn't break easily.  With years of everyday use with children, I don't think one ever broke.  They were just too heavy to break easily.

I haven't used them for many years.  They were packed away, and they were one of those things that I moved to Northern Kentucky and shouldn't have.  They have been in their tote for the past eleven years here.

Now it's time to let them go.  I don't want my daughters to have to deal with them, and they remember them fondly but don't want them.  They are just too heavy and just too 70's.

Something in me wants to take out just one sherbet dish and keep it for old times sake, to remember  all those family meals with them.  But I have a nice set of similar green Franciscan that I really do use often, and a set of blue juice glasses.  Those are good enough for memories.

And yes, I could sell them, but they are irregular (although you'd probably never notice.)  Someone will be happy to have them, and if I can pass on some happiness, it will be a good day.

No comments: