Sunday, April 22, 2012

Memory Quilts

I'm finding that I enjoy making memory quilts, enjoy the process of learning about the person and trying to put together something that will honor her.  I feel as if I'm being trusted with something precious, whether it is tee shirts or photos.


For this quilt, there was a lovely red and white skirt with lots of fabric that I could use for borders for most of the blocks.  Borders add color and help make the blocks all the same size.  In this quilt, the tee shirts have been stabilized, making them like a woven fabric that won't stretch.  The borders are finished and the arrangement will probably be as it looks now.  In some ways, the hardest parts of this quilt are finished.


Now for a little rest.  Rest means more thinking.  What kinds of sashing?  What color?  And for this quilt, what will the back look like?  I have a couple of tiny tee shirt rectangles that I'll include in the back.  Parts of another skirt, a red and white gingham that is too light in both color and fabric weight for the front but which should surely be included.


I like the livliness of the quilt so far because this young woman had lots of interests and exuberance.  I'm thinking of bright sashings, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

1 comment:

DMarsh said...

Beautiful job--our hospice families love these!