Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Project Finished

Last month I took a Kathy Loomis workshop on improvisational strip piecing. I learned lots, including, as usual, things I didn't expect. Like pressing. And working intutively. And not always using the ruler when cutting. I really like that last one. It was a wonderful Sunday.


This week I decided to actually finish the project with quilting and binding. I meant to use a serger thread for the quilting but didn't have the swirl colors I wanted so I reached in my thread basket and came up with a 12-weight Sulky blendable. Totally unplanned.


The 12-weight thread has a tremendous presence. I used that on top and a prewound bobbin on the bottom, just to see, and they worked well together. I used a walking foot and went down one side, rotated the quilt, and went up the other, and there was no distortion (even though the picture looks like there is, got to work on that.)

The amazing thing to me is how different the piece looks and feels with the quilting added. I'm happy. Except that, umm, now I think I need a second design wall with nice lighting and plenty of space in front so my pictures will look better.

No comments: