Sunday, April 3, 2011

New Day

Baseball and basketball can break your heart. I kept waking up all night last night remembering that my team was out of the tournament, that there would be no UK/Butler matchup. Reason tells me to be so proud of this UK team, the freshmen team, the four-seed playing in the final four. But my heart's still bruised. Still, it's a new day. Most of the team will return next year and it will be a good sophomore team. The Reds won again and the fireworks boomed and I was happy to live in Cincinnati. It's almost Derby time. A new season, new tiny hopes. I have my grow lights up for garden plants. Most of the plants in the picture are petunias with two colors of seeds in each pellet. Burgundy and lime green. The one that's stretching up is a Cherokee Purple tomato. I had to replant my tomatoes because they got too leggy before I had the grow lights up. The petunias were fine because they grow so slowly. Before I put up the grow lights I had to set up shelving and before I did that I wanted to paint the wall behind them. It's all a process. This morning I started getting the peat ready for more seeds. This year I'm going to be ready and won't be looking sadly at the mass-produced plants in the big stores in the middle of May. There's a wonderful local greenhouse with breath-taking flowers but veggies, not so much. Just a tiny area in the back that doesn't get the attention the flowers do. That's ok because I love to start my own, once I get things in place. New season, new hopes.

No comments: