Saturday, January 1, 2011

Not in My Plans

It really wasn't in my plans to take the tree down today. As late as last night, I was saying that I'd take the other decorations down but leave the tree up a couple more weeks. I love a Christmas tree, turn it on as soon as I come in the door, keep it lit all night.

But maybe tradition is too strong, or maybe it was time. I started with taking down the outside lights early this morning because it was wonderfully warm and therefore an opportune time. Later in the day the other decorations were packed away. Then I cleaned the attic storage area and ended up putting in the rest of the insulation there as well. Once again, it was a warm day and perfect for doing it.

Then the decorations could be put away and the totes that have been in my office went back into storage and the office grew a couple of sizes. The momentum just kept going and the tree came down. Now that it's done, I'm happy about it, glad to have the space back but missing the light and cheer.

Last night Steph and Mike and the kids stopped by on their way home from their Festival of Lights zoo trip. We had broccoli cheddar and vegetable beef soup, rolls, jam cake. The kids were happy. Bridget and Resa stopped by and we sampled Helen's apple pie moonshine. I was asleep well before the ball dropped. The best kind of New Year's Eve.

Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments: