Sunday, January 23, 2011

Journal Project

I love Quilting Arts Magazine and Cloth Paper Scissors and feel happy looking at the designs and the colors. I even enjoy the ads, in a dreaming sort of way, and like to see what's new and what other people are doing. Rarely, though, do I actually do any of the projects - the last time was several years ago and is one of my favorite little quilts. It took ages to do and involved the pieces sitting in a drawer for awhile (ok, a long while) until I knew how to assemble them in a way that would show them off.

A few days ago there was a post with a little gentle whining that I didn't feel especially creative. As a follow-up to that, I've added a new resolution to do something from one magazine or the other every month. It doesn't have to be a completed project, just enough to try something new.

For January, I decided on this little pocket journal from the latest Cloth Paper Scissors. I'm really drawn to the mixed media aspect of that magazine but almost always end up stitching on fabric.

The little journal is made from a file folder with various papers added and stitched. There are four little pockets inside for tucking notes or pictures or tickets, whatever.

Some of the inside papers I remembered buying at an art store in downtown Cincinnati. I think they are mulberry papers and very sheer and pretty. I did a little stamping inside and a little fusing. The paper on the cover is from an old calendar.
The finished result looks pretty rough to me, definitely beginner's work, but that's ok. The idea was to try something new, and I've done that. It turned my thoughts to journals, which I'm always drawn to. It made me think in different ways, and that's what I really wanted.
Note to self: use gel medium, not gesso, for collaging.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice project and nice blogging.
Sarah