Friday, January 21, 2011

Class Work

I picked up various items for my online class, but never thought to check my pencil supply. Pencils just grow in the desk, right? Or, maybe not. I did find this one, from last year's Mennonite Arts Weekend.

Mennonite Arts Weekend is every other year in January in Cincinnati, and last year the weather was just about like it is now. I missed the Friday night session because of the snow (and hated to miss any of it because it's all so good.) Saturday morning I went late and remember driving along the interstate and noticing all the cars that had been abandoned off the road.

We had to submit three class sketches, and this is one of mine. I don't know enough to know if this is my best or is even in the ballpark. I turned in two with this shape because it could also work for my quilt guild president's challenge.

The challenge is called Bare Naked Quilts because the quilt is to be a contemporary, using just fabric, thread, and batting. No beads, no angelina, no foil, no organza layer, none of that. It is to have three or more sides, each a different length.

Last year I made my challenge in the last week before the show, and I'd like to avoid that this year. I know I'll put lots of time in this class and would love combine class and challenge.

At least my goal is to put lots of time in this class. I have to admit that the last two classes I signed up for I did nothing except read the lessons. Not a total waste, because I have the lessons and when the time is right I'll get them out. I had good intentions, think that both times I thought I could "squeeze them in" because the class looked so good but found that there was no squeezing to be done.

This year one of my goals is to take classes and workshops (think I already mentioned that.) I want to learn new techniques, get better with my machine free motion too. I've stippled miles of stippling, and that's enough.

No comments: